2012 Harley-Davidson® Softail Slim
- "Hollywood" Handlebars and "Cat Eye" Console: A cutting-edge ride that's rich with Harley-Davidson® history, the Slim model's old-iron soul comes alive right up front. Unique retro-inspired handlebars call back to the glory days of 1940s bobbers, while the gloss-black headlamp cover and the "Cat Eye" console with its retro speedo face add even more swing-era swagger.
- Narrow Rear Profile: The narrow rear tire and chopped fender with its integrated stop/turn/tail light and side-mounted license plate add up to a stripped-down profile that evokes the iconic, no-nonsense style of classic bobbers.
- Round Air Cleaner Cover: The gloss-black retro round air cleaner cover gives the Slim model's minimalist, blacked-out Twin Cam 103 Engine a raw old school look—it's modern power with old iron attitude.
- Hidden Rear Shocks: If you want a comfortable bike but love that rigid-suspension look, you've come to the right bike. We've kept all the modern comforts where they belong—below the surface of a rad, vintage-looking bike. You get the classic lines of a vintage 'hardtail' frame with the horizontal rear shocks hidden in the guts. It's a signature rigid look, and you'll only find it on a Softail® model.
- Premium Paint: Up to two times thicker than the competition, custom quality paint comes standard on all Harley-Davidson® motorcycles. Clearcoat layering up to five mils deep. Bigger metal flakes. Unique effects. Skimping simply is not in our vocabulary.
- Hand Finished Fuel Tank: All Harley-Davidson® fuel tanks are finished by hand—that's what makes them stand out from the competition. Their seamless design and unmatched style are unique among all motorcycles on the road. The tanks are one of the first and last things people notice when they lay their eyes on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle—so we make it worth their time.
- Twin Cam 103™ Engine Heritage: The knowledge of what makes an engine truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and it was put to good use when we created the Twin Cam 103™; engine. We sweated bullets perfecting every cubic inch, pushing design and technology forward. And we did it all without compromising one bit of Harley-Davidson's unique styling. Evolved, yet carrying on the legacy of the Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Evolution®, Twin Cam 88®; and Twin Cam 96™ engines that came before. The performance and durability are a direct result of the untold miles logged on the V-Twin since 1909, and the proud heritage that comes from a century's worth of commitment to life on two wheels.
- Twin Cam 103™ Engine Innovation: Fire up the Twin Cam 103™ engine and feel the low-end torque unleashed. Thanks to the lightweight piston design, delivery of the added power is more refined than ever. Then put your foot on the shifter and feel how the engine and Six-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission were designed to work together. Six speeds. A strong driveline and strong internal parts. Low routine maintenance. And a low cruising rpm couldn't feel better.
- Pure Harley-Davidson® Styling: Feast your eyes on the Twin Cam 103™ engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. Medium gray engine with black powder-coated cylinders and cylinder heads are topped off with polished rocker covers and an old school round air cleaner cover for a tough vintage Harley-Davidson attitude. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers—the Twin Cam 103™ engine makes an ironclad statement about holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies.
- Six-Speed Cruise Drive®: You want a ride that rumbles—not begs for mercy—when you lean on it a little. The Six-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission provides smooth, quiet shifting and reduces engine speed on the highway, so you get a better match between engine turnover and road speed. It's a rare ride when a bike responds like this, and a low growl goes a long way when you're opening up the road ahead.
- Twin Cam 103™ Engine Power: Live your ride to the power of 103. The air cooled Twin Cam 103™ Harley-Davidson® engine delivers more stump pulling torque, while its Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection jetting gives crisp, lively throttle reaction. It’s a performance punch that you’ll appreciate when passing, climbing hills, or rolling with luggage packed or a passenger in back—all under that signature Motor Company rumble. And it comes at lower cruising rpm, so you ride more smoothly, with less engine vibration and better highway fuel economy.
- Anti-Lock Brakes (optional): When it comes to the Slim with optional ABS, 'stopping power' has a double meaning. The components of our ABS are tastefully hidden within the wheel hub, so you'll still turn heads with clean, streamlined design. More importantly, though, you get certainty in the saddle knowing your bike's going to behave when you need it. Offered as a part of the 'Security Package' (which includes the H-D® Smart Security System).
- H-D® Smart Security System (optional): The factory installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to details and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique. Offered as a part of the 'Security Package' (which includes Anti-Lock Brakes).
- Artfully Hidden Technology: Harley-Davidson® leverages the latest in technology without compromising style and function. That means we hide electronics. The whole wiring harness is skillfully routed behind the jewels of the bike—the tank, engine and all the other eye-popping features you want to see. It's just another way The Motor Company goes the extra mile to give its bikes that premium, top-of-the-line fit and finish.
- Intuitive Controls: Hand controls on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle are incredibly intuitive. The turn signals are self-canceling and, based on the speed and angle of the motorcycle, they know how long to stay on. Engaging the controls quickly becomes second nature so you can focus less on turning off your signal and more on basking in the freedom of the ride.
- Engineered for Easy Handling: The Slim motorcycle may come on heavy, but its been designed to handle like a dream, with easy jiffy stand lift-off and great low-speed maneuverability, so you're always riding in control. And when it's time to stop, the low-slung saddle means your feet easily reach the road.
- Dunlop® Tires: Whether you're crossing state lines or staying within city limits, you want sure contact with the road. The front end holds a premium touring tire with a three-ply polyester casing and two fiberglass belts. The back cruiser tire has an advanced tread pattern. Made from a specifically formulated compound, it delivers outstanding grip in wet or dry weather. And since they're from Dunlop®, you know you're wrapping your premium rollers in quality rubber.
- Tuned to be Ridden: Harley-Davidson® motorcycles are different from any other bike out on the road. There's a balance to them. The steering, the maneuverability—it's all in concert. And each Harley-Davidson® model is tuned differently to create a unique riding experience for each individual no matter which bike they swing their leg over. Let's face it, we didn't get to where we are by being like everyone else.
- Low Solo Seat: The low-slung solo saddle matches the motorcycle's clean, back-to-basics attitude, setting you "in" the bike so you ride like you're a part of it and the open road ahead of you.
- Half Moon Foot Boards: Cruise ahead with both feet in the past with this fresh twist on a classic design. The look may be vintage but the comfort is up-to-date: the chrome-plated steel surround and high durability raised rubber shapes are assembled to offer modern cast-in vibration isolation.
- Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy: Our motorcycles are built to be ridden. A lot. So that means that rider comfort is top of mind. Always. With the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS) feature, the motorcycle automatically cuts fuel and fire from rear cylinder when idling, which helps reduce engine heat felt by rider and passenger. This feature can easily be turned on by your dealer.
- Seat Engineering and Design: The seat is home for Harley-Davidson® motorcycle riders. They want a seat that has unique style without sacrificing comfort. Because of that, Harley-Davidson invests a lot of time in researching, designing and testing seats so that every bike has just the right saddle.
- Length: 94.3 in. (2,395 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 23.8 in. (605 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 25.9 in. (658 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.5 in. (114 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 31
- Trail: 5.8 in. (147 mm)
- Wheelbase: 64.4 in. (1,636 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: MT90B16 72H
- Tires, Rear Specification: MU85B16 77H
- Fuel Capacity: 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 3.5 qt. (3.3 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 671 lb. (304.4 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 700 lb. (317.5 kg)
- Engine: Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103B™
- Bore: 3.875 in. (98.4 mm)
- Stroke: 4.38 in. (111.1 mm)
- Displacement: 103 cu in (1,690 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 9.311
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 6.454
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 4.793
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 3.882
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.307
- Gear Ratios (overall) 6th: 2.79
- Exhaust: Chrome, over/under shotgun exhaust with slash-cut mufflers
- Wheels, Front Type: Black, Laced Steel
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black, Laced Steel
- Brakes, Caliper Type: 4-piston front and 2-piston rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 98.7 ft-lb (134 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,000
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 24
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 24.9
- Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy 6: 42 mpg (5.6 L/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, security system (optional), 6-speed, low fuel warnings
- Gauges: Tank-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock on odometer, dual tripmeter, RPM/gear display, low fuel warning light and countdown feature, low oil pressure indicator light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights, 6-speed indicator light
- Engine Type
- Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103B™
- 103 cu. in. (1,690 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.875 in. x 4.38 in. (98.4 mm x 111.1 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- 4-piston caliper
- Rear Brakes
- 2-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- MT90B16 72H
- Rear Tire
- MU85B16 77H
- 64.4 in. (1,636 mm)
- Seat Height
- 23.8 in. (605 mm)
- 31 deg.
- 5.8 in. (147 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- Combined City/Hwy: 42 mpg (5.6 L/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 671 lb. (304.4 kg)
- 6-speed transmission
- Final Drive
- Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Digital
- Vivid Black
- 2-year unlimited mileage warranty